Search This Blog

Sunday, April 3, 2011

What has caused all the pain.

My pain back in June was caused by a partial obstruction in my small bowel. Crohn's causes sections of the bowel to become inflammed, and one part of my bowel was almost entirely swollen shut. This blocks food from traveling down the digestive tract, and is really painful. My doctor has told me that the pain I have had on those ER trips was as bad as labor pains.

I was referred to Dr. Jeffery Poole, a G.I. doc at Davis Hospital. Dr. Poole gave me every test under the sun. I had several blood tests, colonoscopy, upper endoscopy, and a barium test. I also had tests where you breath into a bag and they take chemical readings of your exhaust. 

The barium test was the kicker.  I set the Davis Hospital all time speed record for the barium pass through. This test should have taken up to 8 hours. Mine lasted 15 minutes. Yes, I had a fistula that was bypassing most of my small intestine. My next step was surgery.

I wish my previous docs had been more aggressive. I think I could have avoided a lot of this if they had done their jobs in 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment