Search This Blog

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Insurance Battle

Since I had my surgery my G.I. Doc has been attempting to get me on Humira. My insurance company has refused twice to approve Humira, and it is beyond ridiculous. They claim I have not been on two other approved meds and failed them before. I have been on Welchol (for Diarrheah), Flagyl (inflamation of bowel), Cirproflaxaxin (inflamation of bowel), Loperamide (Diahreah). Cipro worked in getting pain relieved, but none have worked long term. The other reason for declining Humira is they don't consider me a severe case. This although I had surgery to remove parts of my bowels in October 2010. The surgery is done only on severe cases of Crohns.  We appealed this decision and won on the severity issue, but not on the use of 2 or more meds. I was put on Sulfasalzine for 2 months (which made me feel worse than when I had no med). Again they declined approval of Humira.

I have now been put on Asacol HD, which my G.I. Doc said last week was like "Pissin in the wind."  Asacol is a good med for mild to moderate crohn's disease, not for severe cases.

I have filed a complaint with the state insurance department. We'll see what happens from that.

No comments:

Post a Comment