Search This Blog

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Start of the Crohn's Journey

Of my two conditions, this one is the more dangerous one. Although I was only diagnosed last year, I can see this thing started many years ago. In my late teens and early 20's I had what I now know was my first Crohn's symptom. Bloody Stools.  This was about 1981 - 1983. They would come and go. Usually by the time I could get into the doctor they had disappeared. Also, I did not have insurance as I was just getting into college, so I did not push getting to the doctor as much as I should have.

The doctors seemed to have the attitude that if the symptom was not happening at the time I saw them, then it must not be a very big deal. I was not diagnosed with any particular disease. All I knew was the blood in the stool was not normal. I remember being put off by the doctors time and time again. Nobody taking me seriously at the time. I also had occasional bouts of diarrhea, which the doctors also did not thing was a major concern, just told to not eat so much junk. My problems with the medical profession not taking this seriously would go on for years. I did not present like a typical Crohn's case because I did not have pain. That would come in a big way later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment