Search This Blog

Friday, March 25, 2011

Essential Tremor and Chron's Disease, at the same time.

Hi everybody.  This is my first ever blog posting, so please bear with me.

I am a 47 year old male from Utah. In the last 2 years I have been diagnosed with 2 potentially disabling diseases, which few people seem to have ever heard of, Essential Tremor and Crohn's Disease. This blog is for anybody that wants to hear my story. Today I am going to start with a explanation of what the two diseases are. Later I will blog about my trials with the 2 diseases. I hope to be able to help others with these conditions as well as find help from others.

Essential Tremor (ET) is a uncontrollable tremor that occurs in various parts of the body when the muscle is active. It is a neurological condition that is classified as a movement disorder. Even though ET is the most common of the movement disorders, it has a better known cousin that it is often confused with - Parkinson's Disease. My tremors started a couple of years ago. It started in my right hand. Whenever I hold my arms out straight in front of me I they shake. It makes writing, typing, picking up small items and sometimes drinking an adventure. Tremors can also appear in the head/neck, and legs.  I have had the experience of all these tremors. ET has no cure, but there are therapies for controlling the tremors.

Crohn's Disease is an Inflammatory Bowel Disease. The immune system attacks the digestive system, causing inflamation. Crohn's can occur anywhere in the digestive system from the mouth to the anus. It most likely occurs in the small bowel and large bowel, especially where the two connect - ther terminal illeus. People with Crohn's have a lot of pain, trouble with losing too much weight, lots of gas and diarhreah. It is common for Crohn's to cause 10+ bathroom visits a day. This disease causes a lot of painful trips to the emergency room. I will tell you about my trips to the ER in future postings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment