Search This Blog

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Another Fun Diagnosis! Central Sleep Apnea

In June and July I had sleep studies done. My old G.I. was concerned because my energy level was not as good as it should be at this point after my surgery. He told me to have my neurologist order a sleep study, which she did.

It turns out that I have Sleep Apnea. I stop breathing when I am asleep. There are two types, obstructive sleep apnea - where something in your respiratory tract blocks the air from entering your lungs, and central sleep apnea - where the brain simply forgets to tell your diaphram to work. 95% of all cases are obstructive.  5% are central. Of course, I am a member of the 5%.

I am now living with a CPAP machine at night. I thought this was going to be an adjustment. Well.... I feel so much better after being on the CPAP that I do not want to go back to sleeping without the machine. My energy levels are up. When camping I went on a 5 mile hike - first hike in many years. I feel I am begining to have a life again.

Oh, My wife Sandy, has been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea as well. She should be getting her CPAP in a week or so. After her sleep study for the CPAP titration, she had one of her best feeling days in a long time.  I think our Neurologist was inspired by my results and said, lets try that on Sandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment